Here is a very easy to make massor dal recipe. Indian red lentil recipe has the tadka of garlic and tomatoes which makes it very aromatic. Learn how to make masoor dal.
- 1 cup whole masoor dal
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 – 3 medium tomatoes
- 1/3 cup oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 – 5 pods garlic, separated, chopped finely
- 1 inch ginger root, chopped
- 2 green chillies, chopped
- 1 bunch coriander, chopped
- Rinse the massor dal thoroughly, until water is clear. It is advisable to soak the dal for 2 – 3 hrs as it reduces the cooking time.
- In a pressure add massor dal, 3 – 3.5 cups of water, chopped tomatoes, turmeric and salt.
- After 2 – 3 whistles cook on low flame for about 10 minutes. Then switch off the flame.
- When you open the cooker the dal should be a pulpy mixture. If required add more water to keep the dal loose, like texture of thick cream.
- If using a pan then cook the dal with the other ingredients for 30 hrs till the dal turns soft and pulpy. Stir occassionally.
- Now for the tadka heat oil in wok. When oil is hot, add onions and cook until tender and translucent but not browned.
- Add garlic, ginger and chillies. Continue to fry until garlic is fully cooked. Add garam masala and chilly powder.
- Do not allow spices to burn. Keep stirring until mixture starts to stick. And immediately pour this over the cooked dal.
- Stir nicely and let it simmer to blend in the flavors. Taste and add more salt if needed.
- Garnish with chopped coriander.
- Enjoy with Family and Friends. 🙂
You may try other Dal Recipes –
Arhar Dal | Arhar Dal With Mango | Chana Dal | Chana Dal Payasam | Daal Makhani | Dal Nawabi | Gujarati Dal | Dal Maharani | Masala Dal | Manchmel Daal | Moong Dal | Panchmel Dal | Moong Dal With Palak | Parsi Dal | Sukhi Daal | Toor Daal | Urad Dal | Khatti Meethi Dal